Hire A Murder Mystery Host
An important factor when holding a murder mystery party is choosing the right host.
You have three choices:
- Host the party yourself or get a friend to do it
- Click to hire a murder mystery host from this page
- Hire a local from a theatre or public speaking group etc.
Doing it yourself is cheaper, but hiring a host will make the party easier to organise and you get the benefit of their experience.
The people on our list are talented facilitators with experience running murder mystery parties.
We recommend these people in good faith, but Murder In A Box does not employ them, or guarantee their services.
We provide this list as a courtesy to assist clients looking for professional assistance. It's up to you to negotiate with your host to ensure they meet your needs.
What will the host do?
Their role is to attend your event, get everyone actively involved, guide you through the mystery and ensure everyone has a great time. Any special requests must be negotiated.
Will they come and meet with me before the event?
The hosts are very experienced with how things work. Meetings will be via phone and email. If you want the host to come and meet you they may charge you a fee for time/travel.
How do I hire a host?
From our list, select a murder mystery host in your area and call them to discuss your event. You can book them over the phone.
What does it cost?
We recommend that professionally hosting a party in the inner metro area is valued at $200 to $500. If your event is on a boat or a train or in an unusual location, expect your host to charge more as it will take more of their time to organise for your event.
How do I pay the host?
Generally cash or cheque at the party but discuss this with your host.
Does the host bring the Murder In A Box pack?
No! You order it separately before the party.
How many hosts do I need?
One host can handle a group of about 40 guests. If you have more than 40 it may be helpful to nominate an assistant for your host.
Will they dress up?
Yes, but again discuss this with your host.
What if my party is outside the inner metro area?
Many hosts are prepared to travel and will charge a fee based on your location. As a guideline if you are:
- More than 40 mins from the CBD: expect some travel costs.
- More than 90 mins from the CBD: expect to provide overnight accommodation plus food and an overnight fee.
- More than 3-4 hours drive from the CBD: expect to fly the host to your location (or pay extra travel costs), provide the host with ground transfers (taxi, pick up or hire car), overnight accommodation plus food and an additional overnight fee.
- If the host is travelling in their own car they may charge a per kilometre fee based on tax office, RAC or NRMA recommendations.
Would you like to be a host on our list?
Go to the host sign up page and we will let you know how to join our list.
Find A Host In Your Area:
Click to view a list of murder mystery hosts available for hire in your state.